Must-have features in Affordable Web Hosting
There are enormous web hosting companies present in the world, each offering their own features in their own way. Their cost vary, but what I suggest is no matter how good features a hosting company provides it should give an affordable web hosting package. Affordable hosting or a reliable affordable web site hosting not only attracts customers but also makes it call itself as an affordable web site hosting package.
An affordable web site hosting plan must consist of these features: -
- POP3 email accounts & aliases - firstname.lastname@example.org is an example POP3 email. POP3 is an electronic mail protocol used to retrieve messages stored on an Internet/intranet e-mail server. Whenever a client wants to check for messages it connects to its Internet Service Provider's e-mail server and uses POP3 to login to its mailbox and download its messages.
- FTP Accounts & Virtual FTP - This is where you upload your files, delete them, update them. This again comes along with the CP. Make sure you have handful of FTP sub-accounts also to provide your clients/users password protected directories. This is very much useful wherein your clients / users can use the FTP to upload /download files from particular password protected folder of your website.
- Backup - Most of the Hosts take Automated Backups. But users do not take much care on this while choosing the hosting plan. This feature is as essential as any other in this list.
- Web Statistics - Analysis is of your website visitors plays a important role in the success of your website. Say, your website has been launched and you get 50 unique visitors or more than 500 visitors per day. Whatever the case may be, you can view the report using Statistics Application that run in the server backend. A popular web statistic software is Webalizer.
- PHP & Mysql Support - PHP is a scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML. PHP is mainly focused on server-side scripting, so you can do anything any other CGI program can do, such as collect form data, generate dynamic page content, or send and receive cookies. MySQL is a true multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server. MySQL is fast and flexible enough to allow you to store logs and pictures in it. Its main goals are speed, robustness, and ease of use. All the Linux Plans support PHP & Mysql. Make sure you get this free of charge when you buy the hosting plan. Few hosting providers offer good of MySQL Database Support & PhpMyAdmin.
- Web mail & SMTP - A web based email program. Most web hosting companies do provide web mail access to their customers. Often it comes with address book, rich text editor, spelling checker, and all the features of any other email program offers. Email becomes key part in your life once you launch the website. Check if the hosts provide with Web mail to check your mails thru a web based interface such as Squirrel mail or Horde. Checking email will be faster if you download the mails thru email clients such as Eudora or Outlook Express. Only if SMTP or IMAP support is enabled you can use this option. All our recommended hosts have this feature.
- SPAM Filter - No email user is free from a spam attack. It is the Email equivalent of junk mail. It is becoming one of the biggest problems in the Internet today. Hence you need to have spam filters installed on the server where your website resides.
- HTTPS (SSL) access to your hosting account. SSL is used for secure communication between the user browser and the server. The information is encrypted and secure. SSL is usually used for eCommerce sites and sites that require submission of other sensible information like usernames and passwords. To have an SSL on your site you can use the shared SSL certificate provided by your hosting company or you can purchase an SSL certificate for your site and ask the host to install it.
- Shell (telnet or SSH) access to your account. SSH is used for secure access to your account. SSH is usually offered on Unix hosting plans. You can zip, unzip files, change permissions of files, and run certain programs on the server.
- Sub-domains for creating sub-sections to your site without having to use directories in URLs
· Shopping Cart - A shopping cart is a piece of software that acts as an online store's catalog and ordering process.
These are the features that an affordable web hosting services consist of. A real affordable web site hosting includes affordable web site hosting services. An affordable web site host provides affordable web hosting for small business and affordable domain hosting.